Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

What is "level change"

svaleb

Question

I have asked support what this level change are for and, in my case, what they do to an eurotronic thermostat.

As I see it it is some kind of offset (?)

What does it do ?

How do I reset to normal/standard ?

It seems the thermostat is heating 1-1,5 degree more than usual stlill set to 16.

In fact I was just trying out what happened when I pressed it a cupple of times. I was hoping to get a message "you have now ...", but no.

I got a nice and polite answer from support...but I still dont understand where to get it back to normal. 

"These arrows allow you to set a higher / lower value of the light intensity in the dimmer. If you want to set the default value again, you should set the full lighting value or the minimum value (on / off). In the thermostat, it changes the temperature. The default values are set by default in the schedule in the climate dashboard. Additionally, a square may appear in the case of roller blinds. is used to stop the lowering or raising of roller shutters"

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2022_03/image.png.884d71d9cb0cd8e43f2c720c34cbace3.png" />

6 answers to this question

I do not think, that should be with Thermostat. Only Dimmers, Color controllers and Roller Shutters.

@jakub.jezek

be careful, Eurotronic Spirit thermostat, when set to conrol with manufacturer specific command (i remember there was thread @m.roszak will remember it) the valve angle, act as multilevel switch, so the level change is OK for that device!

Edited by tinman

IMHO that is indeed "% valve open" and it acts like a "dimmer"

So I expect the "arrow up" button to start increase the % open of the valve and "arrow down" button to decrease the % open. If it was a dimmer, "arrow up" would start increasing the light...

I don't own a Spirit valve to confirm this, but it is in the specification(s)

• Inquirer
  • No, I dont think it should be there, none of the other thermostats has got it.

But that is not what support says.

What are the 2 upright bars just right of the arrows for.

If it is ment as an offset for temp it should say so, and it should be possible to change it back.

I dont know how many times pressed the arrows and the two bars, but nothing seem to happen.

Edited by svaleb

1 hour ago, svaleb said:

No, I dont think it should be there

Both "yes" and "no" apply here... the Spirit Z-Wave Plus TRV manual says:

6 Z-Wave

Command Class, Description

(... long list)

Multilevel Switch - Provides or sets the valve opening degree of the valve Controlling the valve opening degree requires manufacturer specific mode.

For us, mere mortals, "Multilevel Switch" means "a dimmer".

So the manufacturer chose to represent the '% opening " as a dimmer.

They very likekely did that becase the Z-Wave Specification does not have "a better representation for it".

Fibaro can adjust (meaning: hide, in this case) the representation devices and they may choose to hide this part in one of the next firmware updates.

1 hour ago, svaleb said:

But that is not what support says.

Support sees those buttons and says "it is for dimming". Yeah well for the average thermostat and average Joe that does not make sense. Wouldn't call it wrong, but maybe... badly worded?

1 hour ago, svaleb said:

What are the 2 upright bars just right of the arrows for.

I haven't tried this on my Fibaro guess but the arrows most likely start increasing or decreasing if you click them. I would expect, on this type of TRV, one button fully closes and the other fully opens the valve. But while it is opening and closing, you can prus the pauze symbol, || to stop it while it is opening/closing

Some gateways dont have that pauze button, they stop when you "let go" the arrow buttons.

To Be Tested.

1 hour ago, svaleb said:

If it is ment as an offset for temp it should say so, and it should be possible to change it back.

It is not an offset adjustment

1 hour ago, svaleb said:

I dont know how many times pressed the arrows and the two bars, but nothing seem to happen.

Possible. Try holding (keeping pressed) a while and listen to the motor?

Anyway, the % opening control only exists for users, who want to do their own heating algorithm. Or check how much the valve is open. I don't expect those button to be very useful in daily use.

You know, for offset, there might be another possibility with this TRV. The Fibaro FGT-001 supports its own BLE temperature sensor, which can be put somewhere in the room to get better readings. The Spirit TRV offers another possibility. From the manual:

The measured room temperature can be adjusted with an offset. Spirit Z-Wave Plus can receive temperature readings from other Z-Wave devices (wall thermostat for example) The external tempera- ture can be used for temperature regulation.
    This feature has to be enabled via configuration parameter. 

I think the main issue with this implementation is that you do not have a good Z-Wave temp sensor in the room... A "motion sensor" will be close to the ceiling and measure up to several degrees higher, for example.

• Inquirer
  • I tried to give the "arrow down" 2 klick down.

Checking after a day the temperatur is back to norman (the setpoint 16)

So a click is about 1/2 a degree offset (this is a single observation, I wont play wit it any more)

But it is not confirmed in the interface.

I still dont know what the two bars on the right are doing.