Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

FGS-223 without physical switch?

dakkar

Question

Greetings

is it possible to use the FGS-223 without any physical switch connected to it? I want to switch in wall electric socket, which does not have any switch.

The manual states: In order to include the device in your zwave network, press switch1 3x. tricky without a pyhsical switch connected?

Thanks

Dakky

Edited by dakkar

13 answers to this question

No, you do not need any physical switches.
It's great to control them directly through your controller.

The manual states: In order to include the device in your zwave network, press switch1 3x. tricky without a pyhsical switch connected?

That switch is the small button on the FGS-223 backside.

Edited by RH_Dreambox

Please read my post again :-)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by RH_Dreambox
  • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • but how do i add them to my network? pressing a switch is hard when there is no switch wired to the module?

Also bear in mind... the relay is designed to switch lights. Not vacuum cleaners or laptop supplies. The FGS-2x3 has built in protections, but it would still be possible to degrade the relays with that kind of load. Also please check with an electrician if it is allowed (regulations vary by country).

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, RH_Dreambox said:

Please read my post again :-)

[image]

Oh seems I read your post before the edit :D 

THAT was what i was missing. I didn't realize this button and the image you posted is not in the instruction manual shipped with the FGS-2x3. Where can i find this?

57 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Also bear in mind... the relay is designed to switch lights. Not vacuum cleaners or laptop supplies. The FGS-2x3 has built in protections, but it would still be possible to degrade the relays with that kind of load.

Hm but technically spoken, there is no difference whether the "consumer" of the switched load is a lightbulb or anything other. The max current is 6,5A per channel (max of both channel 10A). As long as im below that value everything should be fine.

in my case this is an outdoor pump with 230V and 370W => 1.6A. Should be fine. A vacuum cleaner of course might (and probably will) break this limit

Edited by dakkar

14 minutes ago, dakkar said:

Oh seems I read your post before the edit :D 

THAT was what i was missing. I didn't realize this button and the image you posted is not in the instruction manual shipped with the FGS-2x3. Where can i find this?

Hm but technically spoken, there is no difference whether the "consumer" of the switched load is a lightbulb or anything other. The max current is 6,5A per channel (max of both channel 10A). As long as im below that value everything should be fine.

in my case this is an outdoor pump with 230V and 370W => 1.6A. Should be fine. A vacuum cleaner of course might (and probably will) break this limit

There is a bigger picture that @petergebruers was trying to alert you to.

6,5A  is for a resistive load  . Different load types have different characteristics. A pump is inductive and possibly capacitive .

You may need to slave a relay for your pump if you want your contacts to last . There is also inrush current on start up to consider.

Thanks @Jamie mccrostie

No, it is not OK to control a pump with an FGS-2x3. Quote from the manual: "Do not connect types of load other than resistive!"

Can I shamelessly recommend some of my previous explanations on relays? For instance:

And this older one. Although it talks about LED drivers, it applies to motors as well.

Please do come back if this does not help... I really want you to use a safe and recommended solution...

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • Hurm thats a shame :(

ok i understand: there are different types of load (resistive (lights), inductive (for example engines)).

And the FGS can handle only resistive ones. 

This makes the device quite useless vor me :( I want to switch different consumer. Sometimes the pump, sometimes the xmas decorations of my wife and so on.

Is there any other solution, which provides this flexibility?

EDIT: 

56 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

You may need to slave a relay for your pump if you want your contacts to last . There is also inrush current on start up to consider.

Can you explain this to me? And when using a relay, i loose the power measure feature?

Edited by dakkar

46 minutes ago, dakkar said:

I want to switch different consumer. Sometimes the pump, sometimes the xmas decorations of my wife and so on.

Xmas decoration my qualify as "resistive". Pumps are not OK.

46 minutes ago, dakkar said:

Yes, solutions for motors exist, but not in that small volume (like FGS-2x3). So you won't be able to put it behind a socket.

Edited by petergebruers
    • Like 1

• Inquirer
  • The size is not the problem. I have "enough" space behind the wall to put larger components there ;)

I'll have a look at the Aotec switches

Thanks a lot for warning me.

Good luck with your project! BTW you can show your gratitude by clicking the "like button".

At the top of the forum: Knowledge / Manuals

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dakkar said:

Hurm thats a shame :(

ok i understand: there are different types of load (resistive (lights), inductive (for example engines)).

And the FGS can handle only resistive ones. 

This makes the device quite useless vor me :( I want to switch different consumer. Sometimes the pump, sometimes the xmas decorations of my wife and so on.

EDIT: 

Can you explain this to me? And when using a relay, i loose the power measure feature?

I use a lot of these relays, just an example. Then your Fibaro Module controls the relay which then switches the load.

Re power measure, if its a fixed, not variable load, you can nominate a load to report when the module is turned on thru settings "declared power consumption".

Please login or register to see this attachment.