Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Cheap Z-Wave devices

cag014

reverse engineering is ok, but safety is something where i really care

4 minutes ago, tinman said:

reverse engineering is ok, but safety is something where i really care

Hell yes, safety is always on first place for me too, that is why I asked you for reason why you want to see picture of the PCB. Now I know for sure why.

the point with reverse engineering is, when you do it 1:1 and use same components, it should be fine. But in most cases, the controller will tell you "make it cheaper", and then the trouble begins ... 

I am always thinking all the manufacturers are having their products build in the same Chinees factory. So in the end the safest device is the one they pay them the most for.

Jim

For what it's worth regarding the neocoolcams:

- I have seen exploded wall switches

- I have had experiences with the motion sensors where they saw movement and set off the alarm, while there was no movement at all.. (and heard others about it as well)

- 0 experience with the door/window sensor.

Anyway, for me personally, reason enough to avoid these.. :-)

• Topic Author
  • regarding the wall plug -  it has overload protection same as all other devices.

Have tested the protection several times and it works well.

In addition I did perform some electrical tests before inclusion such as ground connection and response to shutdown the main breaker.

Looks fine.

@ 

Please login or register to see this link.

I have Aeon and Fibaro switches for LED panels that melt down (and two Aeon dimmers as well) .

Currently I have an issue with Fibaro double switch 2nd edition (FGS-223) - it stuck (probably because of inrush  current caused by the load of the LED panel) and doesn't turn off the light. To resolve this issue I just knocking several times on the switch with the screwdriver and it works again for few days. Right now I have ordered ZIPATO double switch, which suppose to have inrush current protection, hope it will resolve the problem.

By the way the power consumption of each LED panel is 25W only !!!! see attached picture.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by cag014

6 hours ago, jimicr said:

I am always thinking all the manufacturers are having their products build in the same Chinees factory. So in the end the safest device is the one they pay them the most for.

Jim

True that

On 24-7-2017 at 4:31 PM, cag014 said:

Currently I have an issue with Fibaro double switch 2nd edition (FGS-223) - it stuck (probably because of inrush  current caused by the load of the LED panel) and doesn't turn off the light. To resolve this issue I just knocking several times on the switch with the screwdriver and it works again for few days.

Yup, known issue.. They get sticky. I love how people look and react when they see you 'fix' it heheh..

• 3 weeks later...
    On 14-5-2017 at 5:38 PM, cag014 said:

Guys,

I have seen some very cheap Z-wave devices at eBay...

Please see link below 

Ia anyone has tried these no brand devices?

It looks like "original" copy of some famous smart home manufacturers .

Would like to hear your opinion on that..... thanks

Hey guys, 

Waking this old topic, I too bought these plugs. 3 for €88 on Amazon, they where sent from the people's republic of China.

They work but no template, will probably use them in our new house as standby-killers.

My findings are simple as I only have one installed at the moment, I can turn them on and off and they measure power (no in depth test).

Only thing is they are slightly to big for wall socket. I haven't measured but I think it's the pins so inserting them is no problem but taking out again can be an adventure ;).

I advice not to move them around, but plug them in and leave them there. 

The power needed to  take them out might damage both the plugs and the wall sockets over time.

Jim

@jimicr thanks for sharing. I received my "coolcam" branded plug and I will measure some stuff and start a new topic. If it't is ok I'd like to refer to your previous post.

3 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

@jimicr thanks for sharing. I received my "coolcam" branded plug and I will measure some stuff and start a new topic. If it't is ok I'd like to refer to your previous post.

No problem @petergebruers I'll be following the topic as soon as you post it.

Jim

P.s. all 3 have the same tight fit so that is consistent at least for the 3 I have. 

Edited by jimicr

On ‎24‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 4:31 PM, cag014 said:

regarding the wall plug -  it has overload protection same as all other devices.

Have tested the protection several times and it works well.

In addition I did perform some electrical tests before inclusion such as ground connection and response to shutdown the main breaker.

Looks fine.

@ 

I have Aeon and Fibaro switches for LED panels that melt down (and two Aeon dimmers as well) .

Currently I have an issue with Fibaro double switch 2nd edition (FGS-223) - it stuck (probably because of inrush  current caused by the load of the LED panel) and doesn't turn off the light. To resolve this issue I just knocking several times on the switch with the screwdriver and it works again for few days. Right now I have ordered ZIPATO double switch, which suppose to have inrush current protection, hope it will resolve the problem.

By the way the power consumption of each LED panel is 25W only !!!! see attached picture.

to solve this:

just add a relais, the wall switch is switching the relais, en the relais is turning the led on/off

@jimicr,

I have also some of thouse Neo wall plugs (4 pieces), but i have no problem with the measure - inserting and removing of the plug.

3 minutes ago, Bodyart said:

@jimicr,

I have also some of thouse Neo wall plugs (4 pieces), but i have no problem with the measure - inserting and removing of the plug.

Do you know what brand your sockets are? Mine are Gira with build in child protection.

• Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, akatar said:

to solve this:

just add a relais, the wall switch is switching the relais, en the relais is turning the led on/off

The problem that I don't have enough space in wall socket....  

It is Neo Coolcam brand also with child protection :-)

The only difference between Fibaro and this one is maximum load of Coolcam is only 2000VA

Edited by Bodyart

6 minutes ago, Bodyart said:

@jimicr,

I'm in Belgium and I only have Niko wall sockets and lots of "unbranded" multi-socket adapters. No issues with fit/contact pressure, but the plugs are upside down :-)

Belgium and France use Euro socket type E, it is polarised by means of an earth pin (but polarisation is not used, that is another matter...). The more common type in Europe is type F, it does not have an up/down position.

Euro plugs are compatible with both type E and F (but it might be upside down in type E).

35 minutes ago, Bodyart said:

It is Neo Coolcam brand also with child protection :-)

The only difference between Fibaro and this one is maximum load of Coolcam is only 2000VA

I ment the wall socket you plug this thing in :)

Sorry for misunderstanding.... It a standard Type F

Quite common issue that insertion in wall outlets with child protection is harder than without and removal can sometime be a nightmare, especially if the spring pushing back the child protection is very strong. Sometimes it helps to wobble a bit when inserting and removing