Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Cheap Z-Wave devices

cag014

Okay guys, the plug just stopped communicate over z-wave network after five days of use. It can be turned on and off, but only with button. I tried do re-add it if that would solve that communication problem, but i cannot connect the plug with Fibaro anymore - obviosly z-wave chip was somehow damaged. 

Note: After i plug it in, LED flashes five times with violet color 

Edited by play3man

If you can afford an hc2 or HC light, why go cheap on actors and switches?! Smartthings is half the price and then you could have boughten a ton of switches, actors, etc with the extra money you saved on buying a much cheaper controller...  Really defeats the whole purpose of purchasing a Fibaro controller in the beginning.....

Edited by matt1981
edit

Interesting, topic, we pay probably the highest (I'm assuming) globally for all the zwave components here in AU/NZ , it's ridiculous how expensive things are when you only have a small population, so we don't even get these smaller manufacturers understandably changing frequency for our market size.

But even if we did have these cheaper alternatives, I'd still be dubious. I can't tell you the number of Chinese 'things' I've purchased thinking it was a bargain and ended up throwing away, ( then having to either spend the other 50% saved, or just get the name branded one anyway ) the only issue I've had with a Fibaro branded component was resolved and replaced. Still some people use lesser known brands and some use overpriced name brands .. the thing I always think about though, is .. if a widget has say a bit of plastic, a certain number of chips and some metal in it .. and another widget has to have basically the same in it to function .. then how can one be 2 or 3 or more times the price ?

As I'm in marketing and sales for a small engineering firm, I can tell you my opinion .. someone is either meeting all the required certification criteria, &/or making more margin, and someone is cutting corners if basically "like for like" items are significantly disparately priced. .. 

In this case, because I like to sleep soundly at night, and these are things that I rely upon stuck in my roof space or wall, to keep me secure, and safe .. I'd personally pass .. we aren't talking sneakers or t-shirts here !

Then you have OTA updates, which can fix any niggling issues, or improve functionality etc .. I mean I get it ($) , but .. I wouldn't get it :) 

The upside for people like me though, is if more people buy the lesser known brands, market pressure will reduce the pricing of the named brands assuming margin is the root of the pricing difference !

Just my 2¢ worth.

Cheers,

al.

Edited by alandee
  • Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Guys,

at Gear Best now almost half a price from eBay - Neo coolcam smart, light switches and door sensor

Please login or register to see this link.