Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Update to 4.9 fails and FGT is unresponsive

oajungen

I just got a message to update to 4.9 (from 4.7).

Tried it on one FGT (with HC2), but update fails and FGT is completely unresponsive at this moment.

Can't do anything, it doesn't charge battery, it doesn't respond to the pinhole, HC2 can't find it anymore.

What the heck is going wrong?
I have been using the FGT shortly after introduction and have 10 of them. One of them is broken because of this update.

Really really bad! 

How can I solve this issue?
My advice.... DON'T UPDATE TO THIS VERSION AT THIS MOMENT

It is blinking cyan?

It is almost impossible to cripple the device with OTA (there are redundancies implemented).

Devices won't start the update if battery is low, other than that - there are no other requirements.
Event if update was interrupted it should normally start again after second try. 

Update 2 with succes

1 failed directly at start update ( battery at 70%)

2 of them failed arround 66/70 %.

Edited by Flash

3 hours ago, oajungen said:

Can't do anything, it doesn't charge battery, it doesn't respond to the pinhole, HC2 can't find it anymore.

Confirmed, I got a brick too! Firmware started on a HC3 so the system does not appear to be a factor

Charged my FGT-001 to 100%

Excluded and Included because well first attempt were NOK

After the necessary reboots ... Update started

- Last status update I saw was about 25%. When I checked 10 minutes later, status was FAILED

- All the time the ring was cyan, blinking

- FGT does not respond to "pinhole", led remains dark

- Connecting a charger does nothing, led ring remains dark

- AFAIK there is no Z-Wave but I did not double check with Zniffer.

Conclusion: firmware update bricked one of my FGT-001

I guess, this one goes in the bin because ... Unless the devices has a secret to make it boot it some "failsafe mode" I don't see what else I could try...

because "a little bird" told me these devices are very difficult to disassemble. Not sure what benefit that would bring, I don't have the firmware nor tools to do a hardware flash.

3 hours ago, m.roszak said:

It is almost impossible to cripple the device with OTA (there are redundancies implemented).

I think I just killed it with OTA...

I tried a firmware update several times, no luck, so I guess it is not only the ring that is not flashing  but the Z-Wave part is dead as well. If you want me to check, I can do that tomorrow. For now I'll have to get out my spare TRV...

18 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Confirmed, I got a brick too!

have to check if i have still any old FGTs, to get them replaced after this update ?

18 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

- All the time the ring was cyan, blinking

blink LED firmware ...

Edited by tinman

I have tried to update four of them, two updated successfully, two with following error:

Please login or register to see this code.

edit: One have lost connection to BT temperature sensor after update.

Edited by danidani

Tnx @tinman - I noticed 5 minutes ago..

I have a second, weird case, bricked as well! This one keeps blinking cyan, but I was still able to 3-click and exclude the device. Unfortunately... Adding it back only worked partially, I got an unrecognized Z-Wave device and the cyan ring keeps blinking all the time.

I hadn't noticed because the FTG is in another room and I thought it had just failed and reverted to 4.7... Clearly not

8 hours ago, danidani said:

I have tried to update four of them, two updated successfully, two with following error:

It is usually a matter of any combination of this in no particular order:

• reboot HC2/HC3
  • Fully charge FGT
  • "soft reconfigure"
  • "reconfigure" (device IDs will change!)
  • exclude and include
  • Make sure it is NOT in "secure mode", because secure mode makes FW upgrade impossible AFAIK

EDIT: I agree with @danidani's comment about having to do some "post update cleanup" (at least in some cases, there is no harm in checking this...):

9 minutes ago, danidani said:

My steps neccessary after update:

1. Soft reconfig
  2. Setting parameters (lost after reconfig)
  3. Re-adding to the climate zone
  4. Re-pairing with the BT temperature sensor

Edited by petergebruers

great:

[25.11.2021] [23:48:17] [TRACE] [ZWAVE]: ID 253: OK. The device will initiate the firmware update of the target specified in the meta data.[25.11.2021] [23:48:18] [TRACE] [ZWAVE]: ID 253: An error occured. RGBW program writing will not start[25.11.2021] [23:49:08] [TRACE] [ZWAVE]: ID 607: OK. The device will initiate the firmware update of the target specified in the meta data.[25.11.2021] [23:50:18] [TRACE] [ZWAVE]: ID 253: The device was unable to receive the requested firmware data.

2 minutes ago, akatar said:

great:

Yeah. Doing Z-Wave since 2012/2013 and firmware updates have always been a horrible experience IMHO. But I am glad we get them to improve our devices.

Granted......... I always am surprised, those "WiFi" devices can update in 10 seconds and never fail. Ahem, that is not always true. A few weeks ago I "OTA bricked" a Shelly D/W WiFi sensor, because it had low battery. But I was able to obtain the firmware files (which is no secret) and get the flasher tool (open source) and use a 2$ USB to TTL converter to re-flash it... It is working again.

I guess (not sure) that we can throw bricked devices in the bin,  i don't think fibaro will exchange them.

Hi All,

Long time 'lurker' here, but guess this is my first post.

For 'fun' (*cough*) i also updated one of my FGT's, result: same blinking cyan led... (

- did multiple retries

- zniffer shows only some ack's from the device (sitting next to it)

But, what bothers me the most, guess it crashed the zwave engine on my HC2.. (hc3 still collecting dust here :))

After like 30 minutes into the second retry my wife mentioned ('shouted' :)) the lights in the toilet didn't turn on, checked webUi all seemed fine only didn't "pick up" anything.

A few minutes later my network monitoring started to alert me as well (http check on servicesStatus > Zwave, running: false)

A reboot fixed the HC2, but the FGT is still blinking cyan. Time to get out the wrenches i guess..

Maybe it will be of some help :)

Hope you have nothing planned tomorrow :)

Mine took 40 min+ before it failed (every try)...

(big network, but fairly quiet)

yep .. cyan blinking. One can enter yellow menu, click once, it did something, no idea what (but this should be normally factory reset), blinking again. Anyway, excluded, included again with 3x clicks, blinking cyan, read config, 3x click, inclusion finalized. Have to add, i'm on zwave engine 3 and doing updates via API. 

So, started update again ... i can see progress, so we will see, maybe just broken something after step one (yes, the firmware file contains two update files)

EDIT: nope, same result, target1 100% loaded, FGT did something for second, status target1 completed, than failed immediatelly as progress of target2 started. 

In my case it's the _old_model_ version of firmware, for the FGT without button. 

Edited by tinman

1 hour ago, tinman said:

yep .. cyan blinking.

Thank you for your time and effort - and reproducing this problem...

1 hour ago, tinman said:

One can enter yellow menu, click once, it did something, no idea what (but this should be normally factory reset), blinking again.

Yeah, saw that too. Don't seem to bring anything back to life

1 hour ago, tinman said:

3x clicks, blinking cyan, read config, 3x click, inclusion finalized.

I can exclude and include, but on HC3 old Z-Wave engine, device does not get configured.

This cannot be good:

Please login or register to see this code.

And nothing else (eg productInfo":""). Does this device have amnesia?

2 hours ago, tinman said:

target1 100% loaded, FGT did something for second, status target1 completed, than failed immediatelly as progress of target2 started. 

target 1 is BLE chip and target 2 is Z-Wave - or the other way around?

You think the issue is a bug or bugs in the 4.7 code which prevents updates in some cases?

2 hours ago, tinman said:

In my case it's the _old_model_ version of firmware, for the FGT without button. 

Confirmed, my 2 bricked devices are with "pinhole" instead of "button".

I have successfully upgrade an old one to 4.9

And a new model to 4.9

I have the new model with button.

First one is fine the second ones failed...

It's dead, do not even charge battery

It looks like the understood the problem with that firmware. Update is no longer listed as available....

Now it's time to replace broken devices, mine was 15 days old

Edited by Fyase

Both of those successfully updated lost connection to the BT temperature sensor.

My steps neccessary after update:

1. Soft reconfig
  2. Setting parameters (lost after reconfig)
  3. Re-adding to the climate zone
  4. Re-pairing with the BT temperature sensor

Thanks guys for providing as much info as possible. @danidani Thanks, I've edited my post above to incorporate your remarks about "post upgrade".

11 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Thanks guys for providing as much info as possible. @danidani Thanks, I've edited my post above to incorporate your remarks about "post upgrade".

Here my HC3 logs if could help

Device start update at 23:06

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Fyase