Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Dimmer 2 and light goes off after less than 1 asecond

Alex

Question

I have one problem:
I tried to install the new dimmer 2.

Everything worked fine so far (inclusion, automatic detection).

I have two momentary switches. If I use one of them controlling light works fine.

I am having two light in a row (two lamps at different positions).

The dimmer 2 module is connected to L, N. The output of switch 1 is connected to S1 (the other switch is connected to the first switch via

Light 1 is connected to O, than to the second light and back to neutral.

(So phase is connected to L of the module and input to the switches, neutral lead to N and end of second light, output of switch is connected to S1 and this "O" from the module is connected to the first light)

Now the problem:

If I switch on the lights via app or web page it goes on to the dimming value I want.  but only for very short time (less than a second).

So it switches off directly.

If I repeat this it happens again. But after the third or fourth time the light stays on.

After switching it off again and waiting for a minute (I have not measured this) I can reproduce this behaviour.

What have I done wrong?

Any more details needed?

No I won't, no place for it in the box, expansive, I better buy a qubino dimmer if there is no solution with the 212.

Qubino dimers are very good at managing LED lights with no bypass.

They are less features packed, not well supported by fibaro and less powerfull (200w) but the dimming is perfect.

No I won't, no place for it in the box, expansive, I better buy a qubino dimmer if there is no solution with the 212.

Qubino dimers are very good at managing LED lights with no bypass.

They are less features packed, not well supported by fibaro and less powerfull (200w) but the dimming is perfect.

Thank you for your feedback... I have the Qubino dimmer, and I agree with you. But mine is not attached to three switches, only one. The wiring is only 1 meter. I haven't seen post mentioning "long wires" on this forum. No positive... and no negative reports either. Do you happen to have more information on this?

• Inquirer
  • I called them and the support is currently connected on my box

Is there any result yet?

they resetted one of my fgd 212 and saw the problem with their own eyes.

I don't have a lot of feedback but they have to reconnect tomorrow.

The only remark I received is: "the load is only 12,5W ?"

I responded yes, two philips master led

They said, minimum load is 50W...

I responded, it's LED time, bulbs of 50W are not sold anymore... and I have led strips of 100+W who have the same problem.

• Inquirer
  • I got the relay working. I can toggle the light with all three switches.

But with the web frontend I have this going up and down again.

So if I dim the light to 25% it goes up to 75% sometimes.

Or the other way around for example.

@Alex, i have a suggestion for you,

Replace the fgd 212 by a fgd 211 and it will work without the need of a relay.

• Inquirer
  • I had the FGD 211 before and wanted to replace it because the LED lights had a slight hum and I could not dim them down as other lights.

With the FGD 212 this is gone.

But as it looks like I must replace it again and use dimmer 2 somewhere else.

That's exactly the same situation as mine

Please login or register to see this image.

/emoticons/default_icon_curve.gif" alt=":-/" />

The support re-connected to my box this afternoon and made a lot of tests.

In my case, it seems that setting the parameter 6 to 0.03s solved the auto turn off bug.

I replicated this solution to the other fgd 212 having the problem and it solved it also.

Alex, please give a try and tell us if it fixes the bug for you also

Hi,

I am trying to connect the dimmer2 (2 wires setup) led bulbs ,and the light is switching off after one secound. In my case changing the paramteter 6 to 0.03 is not fixing the problem.

sjauquet are you using the bypass in your setup?

Regards

@ wwojt

Please try the following times and add the parameter 23 to "DoubleClick disabled"

@Reve

Changing the param 23 is not fixinig the problem.

I ran some test today:

Regular bulb 60wat works fine on this setup. After calibration works 100 procent.

At this minute led light is switching off after 1 secound.

I was trying to change the 4 led lights to a diffrent set of led light and now I am having the disco at home.

Lights are flashing every 1-2 sec even without turning on the dimmer.

In booth described cases dimmer is showing 2w energy consuming all the time.

• Inquirer
  • I was trying to change the 4 led lights to a diffrent set of led light and now I am having the disco at home.

Lights are flashing every 1-2 sec even without turning on the dimmer.

The disco lights looks like a problem I can reproduce with dimmer 1.

Here it helped to use the bypass. But the bypass for dimmer 2 is not available yet I guess (and a pity that it is needed at all)

If you have flashing lights (stroboscopic effect) or glowing LED when dimmer is off, I'm 99% sure a bypass (the correct bypass!) will suppress that. It also depends on the lamp type and total amount of watt. There is a small current flowing through the lamp, and that can charge the supply of the lamp just enough to start working. The "bypass" actually quenches the voltage of the lamp "at rest", so it cannot start it's supply. I've tested 15 different types CFL/LED and I needed the bypass in three cases. One older CFL, non-dimmable, one older LED and one recent (Philips Warm Glow) that glows with 3 bulbs in parallel = 9 Watt * 3 (below recommended Watt)

Without bypass, Fibaro recommends loads > 50 VA (to assure it is functioning in 2-wire setup and suppress strobo/glow, but I have not tested that amount of LEDs!)

It is in the manual:

FIBARO Bypass 2 (FGB-002) is a device designed to work with FIBARO Dimmer 2 (FGD-212). It should be used in case of connecting lED bulbs or energy saving compact fluorescent lamps. FIBARO Bypass 2 prevents flickering of the lED lights and glowing of the turned off compact fluorescent lamps.

In the case of 2-wire connection, FIBARO Bypass 2 allows to reduce minimum power of load required by the Dimmer 2 for correct operation. FGB-002 provides powering of the Dimmer 2 in case of controlling the low loads of minimum power down to 5VA (for cosφ>0.5).

New set of 4x Philips GU10 bulbs  fixed the problem with the 1 secound off, and the disco.

Everything looks ok but i am having problem with a regular wall switch.

When i am pushing the button the light is dimming rather then switching off, after next push the light is making it self brighter. I would prefer to use ON/OFF mode.

This is a standart on/switch.

• Inquirer
  • New set of 4x Philips GU10 bulbs  fixed the problem with the 1 secound off, and the disco.

Everything looks ok but i am having problem with a regular wall switch.

When i am pushing the button the light is dimming rather then switching off, after next push the light is making it self brighter. I would prefer to use ON/OFF mode.

This is a standart on/switch.

Is the dimmer set to momentary or toggle switch?

I'm seeing the same issue - normally at the second attempt, the light will stay on.

I have param 20 set to 2 and the modules connected to these retractive switches:

Please login or register to see this link.

My Wiring is as follows:

- N and L and lighting circuit connected to  directly to the module.

~ 5m of 3 core and earth run to the switch, connecting the switch to Sx, S1 and S2

Lights: 

2 or 4 40w halogen GU10 bulbs

Two of my 4 modules is connected to two switches in the same configuration (one switch upstairs, one downstairs)

The other two modules connect only to a single switch (still Sx S1 and S2)

One module (Single switch) works correctly 99% of the time.

The other 3 are inconsistent - 20% if the time, when hitting S1 they will flash on, then off again.

Recalibrating does not appear to make any difference.

Would it be possible to test the problematic dimmer with one switch connected with short wires (< 0.5 m) only? Trying to establish if it comes from the wiring or switches, or if it's another issue.

And could you please tell us the values of parameters 1,2,5,6,7,8,14,30,31,32,33,34 because they tell a lot about the configuration.