Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Home Center 3 is comming ?

fingusio

Question

Hello

I heard some news that new Home Center 3 comming in first quarter 2020.

Any other info someone have ?

Edited by fingusio
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bodyart said:

If you ever decide to leave this forum, the forum will loose all LUA beauty you brought here ?

But we can create own forum with blackjack and H*****S3 ;) (c) Bender

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgab said:

and I have peaked inside

Hi @jgab

How have you "peaked inside" if you are not a beta tester?

The "embargo" aka communication ban has been lifted. This means beta testers are allowed to talk about the product and "firmware 5". This is a bit sooner than I anticipated, I am not ready to comment yet...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

The "embargo" aka communication ban has been lifted. This means beta testers are allowed to talk about the product and "firmware 5". This is a bit sooner than I anticipated, I am not ready to comment yet...

Can’t wait for your review ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Is the communication ban lifted on non beta testers too? :-)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jgab said:

Is the communication ban lifted on non beta testers too?

You might be surprised whose side I am on. I do not make money with this Fibaro stuff in any way... I am only influenced by the fact that Fibaro send me a pre production model. Psychology tells me we want to "return a favour" if we get something, so I try my best to stay objective. It is easier for you to do that because you did not get one and people won't challenge you on this. And you were never under NDA... I wasn't allowed to agree (nor disagree) with the people talking about the beta version!

By the way... It does make sense for users under NDA not to talk about a product when it is not final, eg in this case I am not going to post photo's of the HC3 because the production model looks slightly different...

3 hours ago, petergebruers said:

You might be surprised whose side I am on. I do not make money with this Fibaro stuff in any way... I am only influenced by the fact that Fibaro send me a pre production model. Psychology tells me we want to "return a favour" if we get something, so I try my best to stay objective. It is easier for you to do that because you did not get one and people won't challenge you on this. And you were never under NDA... I wasn't allowed to agree (nor disagree) with the people talking about the beta version!

By the way... It does make sense for users under NDA not to talk about a product when it is not final, eg in this case I am not going to post photo's of the HC3 because the production model looks slightly different...

I'm not doubting who's side you are on - your knowledge and insights are invaluable to this community.

Not everything is doom and gloom with the HC3 - there are some bright spots too. Now we just need to figure out how to work with what we got :-) 

...and hopefully there is still chances to influence what's coming in future firmware updates...

I would (and the community too) like to hear from the beta testers what their impressions have been so far now when the NDA is lifted - doesn't have to be professional reviews.

I have some more specific opinions on what I seen about the design choices they made for the development environment that I will share when I get the time...

It will be interesting to read some reviews from the beta testers.

I pre-ordered a HC3 yesterday. My HC2 works fine as it is, but the HC3 will give me Zig-bee, have more memory and 4 cores. It is a new product, and clearly they've done some changes. I do doubt that every change is bad, I think there will be a lot of good stuff, too. All might not be in there at the day of release, but there will be plenty of updates in the years to come.

2 hours ago, robw said:

It will be interesting to read some reviews from the beta testers

I would and could understand if the beta testers are a little reluctant to do a review, or a statement about a beta HC3.

Because if @petergebruers would say this is a wunderfull or bad feature, and it is not in the final released HC3, then people get dissapointed, or otherwise upset.

We all have to wait, also the beta testers, what the final released HC3 can and cann't do.

This is my personal opinion, and yes I'm also very curious, and also pre-ordered a HC3.

Edited by Flash

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

I would and could understand if the beta testers are a little reluctant to do a review, or a statement about a beta HC3.

Because if @petergebruers would say this is a wunderfull or bad feature, and it is not in the final released HC3, then people get dissapointed, or otherwise upset.

We all have to wait, also the beta testers, what the final released HC3 can and cann't do.

This is my personal opinion, and yes I'm also very curious, and also pre-ordered a HC3.

Yes, a review is some time away, but perhaps we can see some more information come in trickles if the NDA's are lifted. A release is as far as I can see now from some stores, 1 month away at least.

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Well, the final release is not far away (even my shop around the corner has price and release day) so I don't believe it will be radically different from what's beta tested right now. 

I'm just of the opinion that I think information should be shared in advance so that people can make an informed decision (and prepare for) to upgrade - before they spend the money and bring the box home. Advice like, this has changed but if you do like this you can achieve similar automation tasks - may convince customers to take the step. For people that spent a lot on developing scripts, advice like this is the APIs that have changed, this is what we have added/removed, this is the reason for that, and this is how you can achieve similar task with these new APIs or ways of scripting. That's how you bring an existing customer base with you. 

Having said that, and being aware that I come away has a bit of a critic in my posts, I'm slowly coming around and may eventually invest in a new box - but that's because I'm slowly starting to come up with answers to the advices outlined above for myself. The problem is that not all developers are that patient and leaves for other platforms if there is no communication. Then there is the aspect that if you as a platform owner invalidates the effort for people that have built something ontop of your platform they will leave no matter even if you think your platform becomes better - because they loose trust in you that it will not happen again.

Anyway, a huge disclaimer for my posts is that I like to develop and I'm looking for a box with potential for development - and that's how I review and form opinions about the box. For others, that just want something that, out of the box, supports various types of home automation devices - the box may turn out to eventually become the best thing since sliced bread - I don't know.

(But then I'm also of the opinion that attracting good developers is a key for the box to develop into that...)

Edited by jgab
  • Like 2

1 godzinę temu, jgab napisał:

Well, the final release is not far away (even my shop around the corner has price and release day) so I don't believe it will be radically different from what's beta tested right now. 

I'm just of the point that I think information should be shared in advance so that people can make an informed decision (and prepare for) to upgrade - before they spend the money and bring the box home. Advice like, this has changed but if you do like this you can achieve similar automation tasks - may convince customers to take the step. For people that spent a lot on developing scripts, advice like this is the APIs that have changed, this is what we have added/removed, this is the reason for that, and this is how you can achieve similar task with these new APIs or ways of scripting. That's how you bring an existing customer base with you. 

Having said that, and being aware that I come away has a bit of a critic in my posts, I'm slowly coming around and may eventually invest in a new box - but that's because I'm slowly starting to come up with answers to the advices outlined above for myself. The problem is that not all developers are that patient and leaves for other platforms if there is no communication. Then there is the aspect that if you as a platform owner invalidates the effort for people that have built something ontop of your platform they will leave no matter even if you think your platform becomes better - because they loose trust in you that it will not happen again.

Anyway, a huge disclaimer for my posts is that I like to develop and I'm looking for a box with potential for development - and that's how I review and form opinions about the box. For others, that just want something that, out of the box, supports various types of home automation devices - the box may turn out to eventually become the best thing since sliced bread - I don't know.

(But then I'm also of the opinion that attracting good developers is a key for the box to develop into that...)

Yes that is true final release for HC3 for EU clients will be soon, after that we will prepare support of next region.

It's gonna take some time because we have some radios in HC3.  Z-wave or BLE or Wifi are quite popular and standardized in the world so it is often enough to change one component or change the transmitting power to meet certification requirements. However, with 433 and 868 unfortunately this is not the case and we have to switch off one of them, in some countries where this frequency is forbidden by law. From here we go through country by country certification.

While creating HC3, we have a goal, what our customers need (As a customer we understand the installer, which will make his work easier, which will make for him better HC3 at work or better management of it. But also the end customer, who will use the system, that it will work for him, that we have to be more open, because Fibaro is too small to write integrations with everyone. Other producers more and more often want to integrate with us or we or a customer who wants his system to integrate with another solution. And such integration is not to be based on switching on or off.  The ideal example will be a weather station, e.g. Davis, where before it used to show information about what temperature, what wind, but nowhere this data could be used in the new approach in HC3 will be used in scenes, climate panel etc.

5 minutes ago, A.Socha said:

Yes that is true final release for HC3 for EU clients will be soon, after that we will prepare support of next region.

It's gonna take some time because we have some radios in HC3.  Z-wave or BLE or Wifi are quite popular and standardized in the world so it is often enough to change one component or change the transmitting power to meet certification requirements. However, with 433 and 868 unfortunately this is not the case and we have to switch off one of them, in some countries where this frequency is forbidden by law. From here we go through country by country certification.

Thank you for the update!

13 hours ago, robw said:

It will be interesting to read some reviews from the beta testers.

I pre-ordered a HC3 yesterday.
[…]

, have more memory and 4 cores. I

Idk, but my HC2 never reach by memory 45% and CPU more than 60% in top

I do not have a plan to mine Bitcoin on HC ;) 

Edited by 10der
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 10der said:

Idk, but my HC2 never reach by memory 45% and CPU more than 60% in top

I do not have a plan to mine Bitcoin on HC ;) 

Don't you mine with your HC2?? I use it also as a NAS :)

No, I want to be future proof. The added zigbee controller is nice, I might use some IKEA Tradfri products in the future. And, perhaps Fibaro has a reason to add more memory and 2 more cores into the HC3. It is just speculation, but perhaps later firmwares are a bit more demanding on system resources. And, Fibaros own staff will probably work more on the HC3 than on the HC2. I do understand if people are in no rush to get the HC3, I'm not in a rush myself as my HC2 works fine, but I would like to tinker and learn the HC3 and then move over my stuff to it. The HC2 I can use in another place.

Adding ZigBee I was solve by 5$ via aliexpress and controller + FW z2mqtt 

thank you. Now all my ZB devices (now just for test and learning Zb protocol) also in node-red and I can build any flow with ZigBee devices like Zwave devices from My HC

1 hour ago, 10der said:

Adding ZigBee I was solve by 5$ via aliexpress and controller + FW z2mqtt 

thank you. Now all my ZB devices (now just for test and learning Zb protocol) also in node-red and I can build any flow with ZigBee devices like Zwave devices from My HC

Yes, there are a lot of hardware and software options. A Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB ram, a Z-wave and Zigbee USB stick, and your personal choice of OpenSource software, is just one example. I've been looking into that option for tinkering around.

Edited by robw

@10der, @robw You guys are smart techies, please do not forget us basic users will need your brilliant but simple "cut and paste" solutions to add functionality. I could not make progress with the Raspberry Pi etc, added too much risk of integration failure for me.

Do you think the new virtual devices will have the functionality to connect Zigbee, 433 and others?